A year of storms on the prairies and how animals survive those storms
Where the land is flat, the sky’s dome becomes a blank canvas for storms. In this lyrical book, experience a year of prairie storms from the point of view of native wild life who must shelter, hide, escape, disappear, endure and withstand those storms.
* hardcover ISBN: 978-1-60718-129-3
* paperback ISBN: 978-1-60718-139-2
* English eBook ISBN: 978-1-60718-149-1
* Spanish eBook ISBN: 978-1-60718-159-0
Watch the sand hill cranes avoid the tornado, the red fox thrill to a soft evening shower, the earless lizard shimmy as it disappears beneath the burning sands of summer, the cougar dodge hail stones, the bald eagle shed sleet and the bison face into the teeth of a blizzard and stand defiant. Each month features a storm typical of that season and a prairie animal in its normal habitat. The prairie biome or ecosystem is explored through its weather, especially its storms. Told in lyrical prose, this story is a celebration of the grasslands that dominates the center of American lands.
Meet the Author
Writer, writing teacher and reader–Darcy Pattison loves stories, especially when they are true.
Darcy Pattison, (www.darcypattison.com) author of both picture books and novels, has been published in eight languages. Her books include:
- 19 Girls and Me (Philomel)
- Searching for Oliver K. Woodman (Harcourt)
- The Journey of Oliver K. Woodman (Harcourt)
- The Scary Slopes, A First Graphic Novel (StoneArch)
- The Wayfinder (Mims House)
Her books have been recognized for excellence by **starred reviews in Kirkus and BCCB, Child magazine Best Books of the Year 2003, Nick Jr. Family Magazine Best Books of the Year 2003, and various state award reading lists. Darcy is the 2007 recipient of the Arkansas Governor’s Arts Awards, Individual Artist Award for her work in children’s literature.
As a writing teacher, Darcy is in demand nationwide to teach her Novel Revision Retreat. Her books about writing or teaching writing include:
- Novel Metamorphosis: Uncommon Ways to Revise (Mims House)
- Paper Lightning: Prewriting Activities to Spark Creativity (Prufrock Press)
As a reader, Darcy has been the Co-Chair of the children’s program for the Arkansas Literary Festival for the past two years. She works in her community to foster opportunities for kids to read and connect with authors.